Scuba diving in Abaco, Bahamas
Abaco offers a unique experience with its crystal clear waters and diverse marine life. There are several scuba diving spots in Abaco that cater to both experienced and beginner divers.
Best Scuba Diving Spots for Experienced Divers:
- The Towers: This dive site features several towers that are covered in marine life, including fish, corals, and sponges.
- The Caves: As the name suggests, this site features several caves and swim-throughs that are home to lobsters, crabs, and other marine life.
- The Blue Hole: This deep, circular hole in the ocean floor is surrounded by coral formations and is home to several species of fish.
Best Scuba Diving Spots for Beginners:
- Mermaid Reef: This shallow reef offers calm waters and an abundance of marine life, including colorful fish, rays, and sea turtles.
- Marsh Harbour: This dive site features several shipwrecks that are easily accessible to beginner divers.
- Sandy Cay: This site offers shallow waters and calm conditions, making it an ideal spot for first-time divers.
Abaco's waters are teeming with a diverse range of marine life, including colorful fish, sea turtles, rays, sharks, and dolphins. Divers may also spot lobsters, crabs, and other smaller creatures hiding in the coral formations.
The waters in Abaco are generally calm, clear, and warm, with temperatures ranging from 75-85°F (24-29°C) throughout the year. Visibility can range from 30-100 feet (9-30 meters) depending on the weather conditions.
The cost of scuba diving in Abaco varies depending on the dive operator and package chosen. A single dive can range from $75-$125, while multi-dive packages can cost anywhere from $250-$500.