Wien (Vienna), the capital of Austria, is famous for its rich history, impressive architecture, and vibrant cultural scene. While the city itself doesn't offer natural diving spots, there are several indoor diving facilities and training centers that cater to both experienced divers and beginners. Additionally, some outdoor dive sites can be found in the nearby regions of Lower Austria (Niederösterreich) and Burgenland.
Best diving spot for experienced divers:
- Aqua Terra Zoo (Haus des Meeres): This unique diving experience allows divers to interact with various marine species, such as sharks, rays, and turtles, in a large, controlled environment. It's an excellent opportunity for experienced divers to hone their skills and enjoy a close encounter with marine life.
Best diving spot for beginners:
- Indoor diving facilities and training centers: There are several indoor facilities in Vienna that offer swimming pools and other controlled environments suitable for beginner divers. These centers provide dive training and certification courses, such as PADI Open Water Diver or SSI Open Water Diver.
In indoor diving facilities, you can encounter various marine species, such as tropical fish, sharks, rays, and turtles. However, these encounters are limited to controlled environments and do not represent the native aquatic life in Austria.
Indoor diving facilities offer controlled environments with consistent water temperature, typically around 82°F (28°C), and excellent visibility. These conditions are ideal for beginners who are learning to dive or experienced divers looking for a comfortable and convenient diving experience.
Diving costs in Vienna can vary depending on factors such as equipment rental, guided dives, and training courses. Here's a general estimate of the costs you may encounter:
- Equipment rental: $30 to $60 per day for a full set of gear.
- Guided dives: $50 to $150 per dive, depending on the facility and experience offered (e.g., diving with sharks).
- Dive training and certification: $350 to $600 for entry-level courses, such as PADI Open Water Diver or SSI Open Water Diver.
Please note that these prices are approximate and can vary depending on the dive center and season. It's always a good idea to research and contact local dive centers to get the most accurate and up-to-date information on diving costs in Vienna.