Tirol is a region in Austria that is well-known for its spectacular Alpine scenery and winter sports. While diving may not be the first activity that comes to mind when thinking about Tirol, the region does offer some unique diving experiences in its pristine mountain lakes.
Best diving spots for experienced divers:
- Lake Achensee: As the largest lake in Tirol, Lake Achensee offers several interesting dive sites for experienced divers, such as the Black Bridge (Schwarze Brücke) site, which features underwater rock formations and steep walls.
- Lake Fernsteinsee: This clear lake is located in a nature reserve and offers fascinating underwater scenery, including sunken trees and caves, which are ideal for experienced divers.
Best diving spots for beginners:
- Lake Plansee: With its calm waters and good visibility, Lake Plansee is an excellent location for beginner divers. The Seespitz dive site offers a shallow depth and a diverse underwater landscape, making it perfect for training and certification courses.
The lakes in Tirol are home to various freshwater fish species, such as pike, perch, trout, and whitefish. You may also encounter freshwater crayfish, snails, and other small aquatic creatures.
Water temperatures in Tirol's lakes range from 41°F (5°C) in the spring to 75°F (24°C) in the summer. Visibility in the lakes is generally excellent, ranging from 16 to 65 feet (5 to 20 meters) or more, depending on the site and weather conditions.
Diving costs in Tirol can vary depending on factors such as equipment rental, guided dives, and training courses. Here's a general estimate of the costs you may encounter:
- Equipment rental: $30 to $60 per day for a full set of gear.
- Guided dives: $50 to $100 per dive, depending on the dive center and location.
- Dive training and certification: $350 to $600 for entry-level courses, such as PADI Open Water Diver or SSI Open Water Diver.
Please note that these prices are approximate and can vary depending on the dive center and season. It's always a good idea to research and contact local dive centers to get the most accurate and up-to-date information on diving costs in Tirol.