Styria (Steiermark) is a diverse region in Austria known for its rolling hills, vineyards, and cultural attractions. While the region is not as popular for diving as some other parts of Austria, there are still some interesting diving opportunities available in its alpine lakes and quarries.
Best diving spot for experienced divers:
- Lake Grüner See: This stunning lake is famous for its emerald-green waters and impressive underwater scenery. Experienced divers can explore the submerged meadow, which features underwater benches, bridges, and hiking trails when the lake is at its fullest.
Best diving spot for beginners:
- Lake Putterersee: This small, crystal-clear lake is ideal for beginner divers, offering shallow depths and a diverse underwater landscape. The lake's calm waters and good visibility make it a perfect spot for diving training and certification courses.
The lakes and quarries in Styria are home to a variety of freshwater fish species, such as carp, perch, pike, and catfish. You may also encounter freshwater crayfish, snails, and other small aquatic creatures.
Water temperatures in Styria's lakes and quarries can vary depending on the season, with summer temperatures reaching up to 75°F (24°C) and winter temperatures dropping to around 41°F (5°C). Visibility in these dive sites can range from 16 to 65 feet (5 to 20 meters) or more, depending on the site and weather conditions.
Diving costs in Styria can vary depending on factors such as equipment rental, guided dives, and training courses. Here's a general estimate of the costs you may encounter:
- Equipment rental: $30 to $60 per day for a full set of gear.
- Guided dives: $50 to $100 per dive, depending on the dive center and location.
- Dive training and certification: $350 to $600 for entry-level courses, such as PADI Open Water Diver or SSI Open Water Diver.
Please note that these prices are approximate and can vary depending on the dive center and season. It's always a good idea to research and contact local dive centers to get the most accurate and up-to-date information on diving costs in Styria.